Thursday, October 17, 2013

Rein in the People

Last weekend the sketch show that I was deeply (and to the distraction of a lot of other stuff) involved in went up for its two show run. The show was called Rein in the People and it was a stressful, scary, and incredibly fun to do. I haven't done sketch show.... well really ever ... and it was a great stretch to try a staged show after years of improv. Boy, preparation is hard

Some small observations:

  • I was lucky that RitP had all excellent improvisers as the cast. As we ran through scripts it was fascinating to see characters that were only briefly sketched (I'm, err, a very  novice writer) in the script gain depth and nuance. It helped me understand how to write better, watching how things evolved in the moment. 
  • The ideas I had that were the dumbest sounding to me ended up being some of the most fun ones. One sketch in particular I thought was way too just-makes-me-laugh, but it ended up going over really well. Never know what'll hit, just throw it out there. 
  • You have to, have to, have to have a good tech person. Thank god for Aaron Tarnow.

It was a pleasure and privilege to work with everyone on it.  I already miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment