Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Detroit Day #4


Last day of the festival! Started off great with a workshop with improv iconoclast Dave Razowsky (his podcast, ADD Comedy is pretty great). It was a really challenging and enlightening three hours. One lesson that especially resonated with me was in appreciating the moment. Which when coached to try and have the focus Dave was encouraging I found to be much easier said then done. I had thought I was pretty perceptive and good at picking up on the energy of a scene but I had my eyes opened about how much I was throwing away. We stripped away a of the "tricks" that improvisers usually depend on, and it was amazing to feel all the reality of moment and just go on that. It's weeks later and I'm still trying to digest what happened in that workshop. So great.

The after the workshop and sitting in for a little of a live taping of Dave's podcast (this episode, with TJ and Dave) the afternoon was spent drinking terrible 40s, getting ready for the night's shows and having some great food at the Cafe Sonshine


That evening, minor car accident aside, the rest of Hotel Nowhere arrived for our end-of-the-festival performance. We ended up literally having the last show of DIF.

As much as the shows were fun and the workshops helpful  the best part of DIF was hanging out with all the people. Especially the Pittsburghers who moved away (Miss you, Dan and Lorin and Jocelyn and Mike and Nathan and Ellie... oh man a lot of people have left)



Finally, thanks to everyone at Go! Theater and the all the volunteers who helped make DIF happen. I can't wait for next year.

OK enough half-assed travelogue, back to half-assed improv stuff

Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment